When students join Idsall School in Year 7 and the Sixth Form, they are placed into 1 of 4 Houses – Long Mynd, Caradoc, Ragleth and Wrekin. These names represent 4 local hills that students remain in for the duration of their school life. Placing students in Houses enables inter-school competition at all levels as well as creating a sense of belonging. The activities that students take part in range from numerous sports to Chess, Scrabble, and subject specific competitions. At the end of the year, the points gained during house matches are totalled up and the winning House receives the Finny Shield which has been awarded each year since 1957 when Idsall was known as Shifnal Modern School.
House Captain Responsibilities
Each House has 2 captains from each year, 1 from the boys and 1 from the girls. Students can see a list of these displayed in the school at "The Crossroads" area.
Year Captain Responsibilities:
- To organise and select teams for your year groups' competitions
- To ensure ALL team members know when they are playing
- To ensure fairness and equal opportunity for all irrespective of ability
- To display team lists on the House notice boards
- To receive trophies at end of term assemblies
- To collect the views of your year group and pass them to 6th Form Captains when requested
- To bring any issues affecting your year group to the attention of the 6th Form Captains
6th Form Captains' & Vice Captains' Responsibilities:
- To meet with Mr Bell to plan each terms' competitions
- To lead house assemblies with staff support
- To provide officials to support PE staff with the running of competitions
- To provide inspiration and motivation to all pupils in their house
- To manage year captains to ensure they are ready to compete
- To provide information for their year captains such as dates, times and team sheets
- To ensure the house notice boards are informative and well maintained (results and photos)
- To collate the views of year groups gathered by the year captains when requested
- To bring any (non-sport related) issues affecting a year group to the attention of Mrs Reeve if they are raised by year captains
For more information please see Mr Goodison in PE.