Health & Social Care
Pearson Edexcel BTEC Level 2 Tech Award in Health and Social Care (603/0395/5)
Overview of Health and Social Care
About 3 million people work in health and social care. Health care roles include doctors,
pharmacists, nurses, midwives and healthcare assistants, while social care roles include
care assistants, occupational therapists, counsellors and administrators. Together, they account for nearly one in ten of all paid jobs in the UK. Demand for both health and social care is likely to rise, so they will continue to play a key role in UK society and the demand for people to carry out these vital roles will increase.
Why study for a BTEC in Health and Social Care?
This BTEC is for learners who want to acquire technical knowledge and technical skills through vocational contexts as part of their Key Stage 4 learning. The qualification recognises the value of learning skills, knowledge and vocational attributes to complement GCSEs. The qualification will broaden the learners experience and understanding of the varied progression options available to them.
What does the qualification cover?
The Award gives learners the opportunity to develop sector-specific knowledge and skills
in a practical learning environment. The main focus is on four areas of equal importance,
which cover the:
- Development of key skills that prove your aptitude in health and social care such as interpreting data to assess an individual’s health.
- Process that underpins effective ways of working in health and social care, such as designing a plan to improve an individual’s health and wellbeing
- Attitudes that are considered most important in health and social care, including the care values that are vitally important in the sector, and the opportunity to practise applying them.
- Knowledge that underpins effective use of skills, process and attitudes in the sector such as human growth and development, health and social care services, and factors affecting people’s health and wellbeing.
The course is split into 3 sections;
- Human Lifespan Development-Internal assessment
- Health and Social Care Services and Values-Internet assessment
- Health and Wellbeing-Exam
Please click on the image for a link to the full specification.