BTEC Sport (Level 3)
What Topics Will I Study?
- 360 GLH Equivalent in size to one A-Level.
- 4 units - 2 are externally assessed and 2 are internally assessed.
- Mandatory content (83%) of total course
- External assessment (67%) of total course
A broad basis of study for the sport sector. This qualification is designed to support progression to higher education when taken as part of a programme of study that includes other appropriate BTEC Nationals or A-Levels.
- Unit 1 (EXAM Y12) - Anatomy and Physiology in Sport (120 GLH)
- Unit 2 (EXAM Y13) - Fitness Training and Programming for Health, Sport & Well Being (120 GLH)
- Unit 3 - Professional Development in the Sports Industry (60 GLH) Optional Units below (1 of 4 must be completed)
- Unit 4 - Sports Leadership (60 GLH)
- Unit 5 - Application of Fitness Testing (60 GLH)
- Unit 6 - Sports Psychology (60 GLH)
Year 12 BTEC Sport Level 3 Curriculum Overview
Year 13 BTEC Sport Level 3 Curriculum Overview
What Grades do I Need at GCSE Level?
This BTEC is equivalent in size to one A-Level. If you want to study this qualification along with A-Levels or BTECs you must meet the criteria for studying A-Levels or BTECs, achieve a grade 5 in at least one science subject and achieve at least a grade 5 in GCSE PE or merit in BTEC Sport. Good IT skills are also desired.
What Other Subjects Should I Study?
The BTEC National Extended Certificate can be combined with 2 other A-Level courses, 1 other A-Level course and 1 BTEC or 2 other BTEC courses.
What About Choices After BTEC?
BTEC National Certificates are valued by employers and higher education, opening doors direct to employment in Sports Centres or degree courses at university and college.
It is expected that pupils contribute at least two hours of their free time each week to assist with Key Stage 3/4 lessons in the PE department. This fulfils some of the requirements of the course and helps increase understanding.
Performance PE kit will be offered to students upon starting the course in September. Kit includes: polo shirt, rain jacket and tracksuit. Purchase of the polo shirt is compulsory.
If you would like further information on any aspect of BTEC Sport, please contact: Mr P Goodison (Head of department): email@example.com or Mrs J Broughton (Head of course): firstname.lastname@example.org or access the Pearson website here.